REVIEW ♡ ColourPop Cosmetics Ultra Metallic Lips

10:54 PM

Hey beauties,

I've been so excited to share my thoughts on the new ColourPop Cosmetics Ultra Metallic Lip liquid lipsticks. A friend and I made a purchase the second the new line was released so I've had a little bit of time to test them out.

Top to Bottom: Maneater, Kween, Flitter, JIC, Lights Out

The ColourPop Ultra Metallic Lips retail for US$6 each, just like their brother and sister - Ultra Matte and Ultra Satin - lippies. They can be purchased exclusively on www.colourpop.com. Originally, the Ultra Metallic Lip range only carries four different shades: Maneater, Zebra, 3-Way, and Kween, but has since expanded, with 7 new shades added to the collection: JIC, Salt, Flitter, Lights Out, Mugshot, DM, and PYT.

I purchased 2 shades of the original 4 release shades to test out the formula: Maneater, which is described as a rose gold, but on me pulls more of a light- to mid-tone bronze, and Kween, which is described as a burnt red with gold glitter, but on me pulls more of a true red with gold glitter. The Ultra Metallic Lips are closer in formula to the Ultra Satin Lips, as they do not dry down all the way like the Mattes, are extremely comfortable to wear, and have just the slightest bit of transfer.

Starting off with Maneater, this shade is a true metallic liquid lipstick. The shade has no glitter but is instead riddled with very fine microshimmer pigment to give it its metallic sheen. The formula of Maneater is super smooth, creamy and opaque with one swipe.

Kween is a metallic liquid lipstick, but has the help of chunky gold glitters to give it more of a metallic look. Unfortunately, while the colour is stunning, the formula is extremely dry, streaky, and not too pigmented. Thankfully, because the formula is more akin to the Satin Lips, I am able to layer on the colour for a more opaque coverage without it feeling cakey, sticky, or like it's going to crack off my lips. After hearing the thoughts of friends and watching the reviews available on YouTube, I have come to the conclusion that the Metallic Lips containing a lot of chunky glitter (3-Way and Kween) have a much drier formula than the ones that don't (Maneater and Zebra).

Overall, for my first experience with metallic liquid lipsticks, I was definitely not disappointed by these products, but I wasn't exactly all that impressed with them either. I am absolutely in love with Maneater, but I think that the glittery shades could use a little more work formula-wise. Of the two shades from the original I picked up, I would definitely recommend getting Maneater. The formula is extremely close to the Ultra Satins and it seems to be the most pigmented of the original 4 metallics.



Of course, I couldn't just stop there - everyone was asking ColourPop to release metallics that would work for lighter skin tones, so of course they did! The second release of Ultra Metallics included the shades JIC, Salt, Flitter, and Lights Out. The shades were totally up my alley considering I have fair-light skin, so I had to go ahead and purchase a few more. From this release, I picked up JIC, Flitter, and Lights Out. I decided to skip on Salt because it was a bit of a deeper shade and I didn't think I would get too much use out of it.

JIC, an acronym for "Just In Case", is described as a cool-toned ivory with a ton of pink and silver glitter. I think it's more of a very, very pale pinky-lilac shade - almost an off-white shade but the shimmer definitely gives it that gorgeous pale pink colour.

Flitter is probably the most mesmerizing shade in this release. It's a beautiful pink metallic shade with a gold shift - almost holographic.

Lights Out is a stunning pale, metallic gold shade and is probably the most wearable of the 3 shades I picked up from this release.

I won't go into detail formula-wise for each of the three shades in this release simply because I think the formula in this release was consistent across the board. Again, the formula is more akin to the Satin lippies, but the opacity of this release was once again not on par. These aren't products that I would recommend you wear alone, as they are pretty sheer when applied on the lips and, because of the paleness of the shades in this release, don't look as great if you build them up to an opaque colour on the lips.

With that said, I do absolutely love these shades as lipstick toppers. All three of the shades I picked up are fantastic over nude lip combinations (my favourite being the MUFE Aqua Lip liner in 3C with MAC Yash or Honeylove on top). These metallic shades give a lot of dimension to the lips and definitely make your lips look much (and I'm talking "did you get lip fillers?" much) fuller.

Overall, I did like this release much better because, although the opacity of the shades wasn't that great, the colours were absolutely gorgeous and I was able to find a way to wear these metallics on an everyday basis without it being too bam in your face metallic. I find myself using the shades from this release more often than the shades I picked up from the original 4 metallics.

Have you tried the Ultra Metallic Lips from ColourPop? What are your thoughts? Do you have a better metallic liquid lipstick alternative that you think I should try? Let me know in the comments below!

Xo,
Marian

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Powered by Blogger.